Tuesday, March 24, 2009

PR for Our Hometowns


I have sent letters to the mayor of the hometown of my late father, where I have a mango farm and a house, offering PR services to the town, pro bono. Before this, during the term of a previous mayor, I had called on the tourism officer, again offering my help in organizing visits to the town. I never got any reply. It's a pity, because the town, I believe, has a lot of things it can and should be proud of. This is the land of my father and forebears.

This is an area where PR can play a role. Our towns, cities and provinces, and their people, are what make our country. They are where native initiative and ingenuity are put into play. These are where our natural resources and the bulk of our manpower reside. They are the sources and enhancers of our culture. They are where our growth as an economy should be nurtured and developed.

And yet what and how much do we know of them?

PR should help our towns put across to the rest of the country the initiatives they are taking to further economic growth, and how they develop their resources and industries. PR can help enhance in our towns and provinces pride in their history and the accomplishments of their people. How many towns in our country have their own museums, or public libraries? Why do we allow old houses and buildings to fall into decay? How many of us PR practitioners have given of our time and resources to the towns of our fathers?

PR folks will need to provide their services for free, especially to their little towns for these will have no funds for the kind of thing that we do. The push that PR can make in our towns and provinces could, however, well be the impetus that would stir so many of them from drowsy anonymity.

My father's hometown? I think I will do PR for it, in any case.

2 comments:

Meng said...

I have the same sentiments about technology initiatives of the government or the lack of it.

I've heard and seen technologies not properly integrated to allow for a fully productive environment that is comparable to how large corporations utilize the technology available to them.

It's sad how the system that is supposed to screen against corruption is the same system discouraging reputable and able companies to join and help the government leapfrog to the 21st century

Romy Virtusio said...

Thank you. I am an old man, so I have learned to be patient. We just have to keep pitching in, and hoping that our values in the private sector, rigid and at the same time hospitable to innovation, will gain traction and get to be appreciated. The important thing, I think, is to stick to this country of ours, maligned as it often is, for failings that are often oh, so avoidable.